Monday, September 5, 2022

2022 KC/MI Wander, Day 14: winding down

 

This is Part 12 of the blog post documenting my epic wandering around the middle part of the country. You really should read them in order. To that end, here's a link to Part One. At the bottom of each post, click the link for "Newer Post" at the bottom. And here is a link to ALL the pictures I took on this trip. Viewing them will require that you scroll through God knows how many pictures of parts of old cars, so you might want to just skip that altogether.

 So I guess I didn't need to spend all that time at the Gilmore complex of car museums: on Labor Day Weekend, all of Michigan is a car show. There were several in the parking lot of my hotel last night, and today I saw at least 40 old cars on the road, including a rare 1927 Alfa Romeo. 

It's just not the same, though. You don't get the chance to really look them over when they zip past you on the highway.

All I did today was drive, from Cadillac, to Clare, then up to Petosky and through the Tunnel of Trees. It wasn't looking good when I left the hotel: 48 degrees and cloudy; but by the time I got to the scenic drive along Lake Michigan, it was clear and around 70. So, perfect. 

Of course, last night I'd carefully re-routed the Google Maps instructions to keep me on the shoreline -- it kept trying to take me on a direct route, which would have been a bore -- before sending it to my phone. Then, today, it had apparently decided that I didn't want to waste all that time driving a scenic route when there's a perfectly good road from Point A direct to Point B. So for the entire trip I kept hearing "In a quarter-mile, make a right." Until I lost the GPS signal. And then I hit the spot where the road was closed and I had to go back to one of those ignored right turns.

remains of a 1905 shipwreck
I saw a couple of lighthouses and a shipwreck, and that's about it. There were some Adirondack chairs set out by the first lighthouse, so I took that opportunity for a five-minute nap. Very refreshing.

I've been to 15 of the 20 counties I needed in Michigan; tomorrow I'll get those last five and then start for home. I have, I see, about a dozen car museums on the return trip. I can guarantee I will not be stopping at those places (with one possible exception). There's a glass museum on the route, too, but at this point, who cares? I wanna go home. So I expect I will finish my Michigan county-counting before noon tomorrow, then get on the freeway and start home. I'll be stopping at a supermarket in Ohio to stock up on moonshine, and if it can be arranged I'll be stopping at the British Transportation Museum in Dayton; and other than that I will be driving as far as my little roller skate will carry me tomorrow.

Oh, and two things I've forgotten. First, the most interesting photo I took at the Gilmore Museum Complex:

1957 Isetta and 1960 Lincoln

And the other thing is about the price of gas, since a few people have wondered about it. I use premium gas in the Jag, and while I know what I've paid, I don't know what it is at stations where I didn't stop, since they don't advertise premium's price; just regular. When I left San Antonio regular gas was going for about $3.59/gallon. In North Texas it was about ten cents less, and in Oklahoma and Kansas about another ten cents a gallon less. In fact, the price kept going down as the trip progressed, until I hit Illinois. In Sabula, Iowa, on the Mississippi River, regular gas was $3.24 a gallon; four miles away, in Savanna, Illinois, it was $3.90. When I bought gas in Illinois the next day, around Dixon, regular was $3.59. (Premium seems to run about 70 cents a gallon more, consistently.) Interestingly, in Michigan, it has varied from $3.59 in the southern part, around Kalamazoo, to $3.89 in the more remote areas up north. But I chanced on a station somewhere east of Cadillac, a BP station, that sold it for $3.29; my premium gas there was less than the regular gas at the station before, or the station after. Don't know why. Of course, my last fill up this evening was at $4.70/gallon, but then the next station I passed had it for $4.39. I don't know if prices back home have come down since I left, but I hope so.