Sunday, September 4, 2022

2022 KC/MI Wander, Day 13: Into the Wild

 

This is Part 11 of the blog post documenting my epic wandering around the middle part of the country. You really should read them in order. To that end, here's a link to Part One. At the bottom of each post, click the link for "Newer Post" at the bottom. And here is a link to ALL the pictures I took on this trip. Viewing them will require that you scroll through God knows how many pictures of parts of old cars, so you might want to just skip that altogether.

 Sojourner Truth, it turns out, lived the last 20-plus years of her life in Battle Creek, Michigan; so before I went back out to the Gilmore Museum this morning, I stopped downtown to see her monument. It's a twelve-foot-tall statue of her preaching, which she did a lot of, in a small park near the City Hall.


That's pretty much the only point of interest in the city of Battle Creek. Well, there's a Historical Bridge somewhere on the east side of town, and an arboretum, but I wasn't willing to make time for either of those things. I suppose if I ever come back here with my wife, I'll have to go to the arboretum, and maybe I'll go see the bridge, too. But there were cars to see, lots of 'em, so back up to Hickory Corners.

I did, as expected, go back to the Model A Museum, mainly to get a picture of the Model A Town Car, marketed to women "of a certain position in society" who didn't give a shit about what people thought. And to those who insist on being dropped off right in front of places where a bigger limo won't fit. You would have to really not care about the opinion of others to be seen being driven around by a chauffeur in that little limo. That's kind of like taking a sack lunch to Maxim's.

I started today where I'd left of yesterday, and finished photographing the newer Lincolns. 

You know what, I'm going to just be brief. I spent 6 hours today, walking around the immense grounds of the Gilmore museum complex; I went to the Lincoln Museum, the Model A Museum, the Cadillac-LaSalle Museum, the Steam Room (horseless carriages, mostly), the something-or-other Barn, the Classic Car Club of America Museum ("full classics," meaning cars for snobs from a long time ago -- according to them, there have been no classics made since 1948), the Pierce-Arrow Museum, and a couple of others that I don't remember the name of. I saw cars. Hundreds and hundreds of cars. I took hundreds and hundreds of pictures, most of which I'm disappointed with because of the lighting in all those buildings, but some are good. Look in my picture album from this trip if it interests you. At this point, at 11PM in a motel room in Cadillac, Michigan, where it's 48 degrees and I'm ready for bed, I'm not going to elaborate. I loved it. I'm glad I went there, I'm glad I went back, and I'm glad I'm done with it and now I'm going to wander around the Lower Peninsula of Michigan and then head home. 

1948 Jaguar 3.5 Litre coupe
(I will say that there was one Jaguar car the CCCA calls a "full classic," the 1948 3.5 Litre. I can think of two later ones: the 1949 XK-120 and the 1961 E-Type. Oh, and the Mark X, but I don't recall what year that came out. In the '60s, I believe. Hell, if they can call the 1949 Cadillac a "full classic," then anything can be a "full classic.")

Click on "Newer Posts" below to continue