Saturday, September 7, 2024

The Not Dayton Trip, Part Five: Hershey, Pennsylvania to Valhalla, New York

 This is the fifth post in a series; you really should read them in order. 
Here's a link to Part One; and here's a link to all the pictures from this trip

 I was parked on the street in front of my hotel in Hershey, Pennsylvania, overnight, and when I started the car to leave Friday morning, the "Engine Coolant" warning light came on. I figured that it was because I was facing downhill, but as the engine was still cool I figured I'd go ahead and check the reservoir. Glad I did: it was almost completely empty! This has never happened before. But ever since the sensor started malfunctioning I've carried the coolant mix in the trunk, so I was able to refill the reservoir. The warning light never came back on after that. (I just checked the reservoir again -- noon Saturday -- and it was down slightly, so I definitely have a leak now.)

 I had breakfast at a local chain restaurant called Funke's, a few miles up the road in the next town: eggs benedict and coffee, all pretty good. The one server was a little overstretched but made up for any delay with a level of cheeriness that I have never expressed. At the next table, an 8-top, were two old guys sitting side by side and keeping an eye on the entrance, apparently waiting for the rest of their party. I thought of them as the Welcoming Committee, as they seemed to know almost everyone who came in. Eventually one more old guy joined them, but by the time I left there were still only three men at that table. 

 The route to Valhalla took me through Allentown. There's a car museum there that I plan to go to on the return trip, but it wasn't open when I passed through. I did, though, stop at a Chase Bank ATM to replenish my cash supply; it was only a few miles out of the way. Someone had left a comment on Google Maps saying that it was "scary" in that area of town, but I don't know why. It's downtown, but there are nice-looking apartments in the area, some small shops, and a convenience store (or ice-house). Maybe the other people were there at night, when it probably has a different vibe.

 It only took a few hours to cover the distance to Valhalla, where Steve lives. He's buying a condo outside Cleveland and planning to move around the end of the year, so I'll probably never be back in Valhalla again. (I was thinking the last time I was here was about five years ago, but I checked my photo albums and find that it was 2013, when I was coming back from Canada. How time flies.) 

photo by SteveStrummer

 The highway coming here is, at one point, part of the New York State Throughway; it used to cross the Hudson on the Tappan Zee Bridge, an impressive looking cantilever structure opened in 1955, but a few years ago they had to tear it down and replace it. The replacement, called the Mario Cuomo Bridge, is a sad ugly modern cable-stayed thing. The proportions are all wrong, the angles of the towers are off. It's designed to last long enough that people will forget the inappropriate behaviour that forced its namesake out of office.

 Steve got home soon after I arrived, and after picking up sandwiches from the deli at the bottom of the street, we spent the afternoon swapping family histories. As part of his preparations for relocating, he's going through all his old family photo albums and culling many duplicate pictures, and those of people and places he can't identify. I rescued a few photos, mainly of his family members that I knew slightly. After a few hours of that, we went off to meet up with Steve's Friday Bar Crowd at a place in Armonk called The Beehive. The group consisted of the survivors of a group of friends that have been going there for upteen decades on Friday evenings. It sounds to me like about half the membership has died, but those who remain are a fairly lively crowd: it includes a contractor, a realtor, a fireman (Steve) and one person, the one seated farthest from me, whose background I didn't ascertain. It was a very Noo Yawk Suburban crowd, with the edges sanded off all the accents. 

 We had gone there just to have drinks with Steve's friends, but ended up staying for supper at the bar. I just had a grilled cheese with bacon, served with a baked potato, while Steven had mussels marinara. Both were really too much food.

Kensico Reservoir at sunset




 The rest of the evening was passed at Steve's house, with the TV tuned to PBS while we ignored it and resumed swapping stories.

 Saturday was supposed to be rainy, but the morning was dry enough that we went out to breakfast at a place called the Townhouse Diner. I ordered lox and bagel with cream cheese, and coffee. The food was very good -- lots and lots of lox, and I could only use about half the cream cheese they served with it. The coffee, though, bordered on the execrable. I needed two packets of sweetener and a dose of salt to make it drinkable. I will not be returning to that place. 

 Steve had the Irish Breakfast plate, which included eggs, breakfast sausage, potatoes, and something called Irish bacon (which turned out to be, basically, ham) and "black and white pudding." Neither of us knew what that was, and honestly I think it's the reason he decided to order the dish. Turns out it's yet another kind of sausage; four sliced portions, two black, two much lighter in colour (hence the "white"). They both had some kind of seasoning in them that made them pretty deplorable to me. The scent of them, whatever it was, stuck in my nose all morning. Another reason not to go back to that diner.

Kensico Dam Plaza
 Following breakfast, we drove up to the Kensico Dam. I've passed it I don't know how many times in my life, but this was the first time I got out of the car. First we went to the top, which is just behind the village shops, and walked across. On one side, of course, is the reservoir, which is part of the water supply for New York City; the other side is a park-like plaza. It's very popular with the locals. On a pleasant day like today, they were out in force, playing with kids and dogs in the lawns, walking the measured-distance routes around the plaza, and generally just taking the air. In winter, they fill the concrete basins with a foot or two of water and have ice-skating. There are fountains on either side, but they were dry right now, and a 9/11 memorial off to one side to commemorate the many Westchester residents who died in that attack. 

spotted lantern fly
 There are also a lot of lantern flies on top of the dam. (I don't know why they're only up there and not in the plaza below.) I saw one walking briskly along the top of the dam and got my camera out to take a picture, when Steve started saying very excitedly, "Kill it! Kill it!" and he started slapping at it with his shoe. My shoe was much more accessible, so I took a swing at it, but they're quick little things. It got away.

 So, according to Steve, lantern flies, which are so named for the bright colours underneath their outer wings, are an invasive species from down south, the only natural predator of which is a type of parachuting spider that doesn't live up north ... yet. So there's a concerted effort to kill lantern flies before the predators show up and make life in the Big City even worse. Wikipedia, though, says the species is from East Asia -- ain't that typical of a Yankee, to blame the South? -- and the predator is a wasp. Not sure that's any better than spiders. (I did see what looked like a yellow jacket eating a dead lantern fly, so there is hope.)

 By the time we left the dam I was experiencing about a 55% kill rate. 

 Now it's Saturday afternoon. Steve had to go on a fire call, which turned out to be for some woman who called the police to come scare her son straight, but when you call for emergency services from a car on one of the Parkways, all the emergency services show up. Then he had some errands to run, so I've been here alone for a while; long enough to write this post, shave, take a shower, call in a prescription to the drugstore in Chappaqua, deal with gmail's security protocols (which I find so frustrating at times that I'm seriously considering changing to Duck Duck Go's email service), walk down to the sandwich shop at the bottom of the street for lunch (because I couldn't identify anything edible in Steve's fridge). Now that I'm about done I'm going to drive up to Chappaqua and pick up my prescription.

 The rain has just started.