Wednesday, June 21, 2023

New Wander, Day 2: Sulpher Springs to Little Rock

 This is part two of many. You really should read them in order. Part One can be seen here, and here's a link to the photo album for this trip.

  We spent our first night on the road at a Motel 6. I used to hate those places; they were cheap, yes, but so uncomfortable, and usually in what seemed sketchier neighbourhoods. But when I was out in California a couple of years ago I was practically forced to stay in one, & found it much nicer than it used to be. I've stayed in Motel 6's a couple of times since, & the only deficit they have is the lack of carpet and, sometimes, furniture. Last night's was no exception: it was clean and the beds were comfortable. It had a hard floor, which was okay, but it had no furniture other than the beds. It was uncomfortable trying to write my blog post sitting on the bed; I know they call it a laptop, but that's not really a place to use it. Otherwise the room was fine.

 We found breakfast this morning at a nice little cafe near downtown called the Pioneer. Good food, good prices, good-ish service. Then we headed over to the glass bathrooms on the courthouse square so Roland could see them, inside and out. (As the waitress at the Pioneer said, "Ain't that something to be famous for!") After a brief break there, we drove up to Paris to see the famous Eiffel Tower, and then on to Idabel, Oklahoma, to see the small collection of American muscle cars at a roadside stop called Gasquatch. They had some nice ones, but muscle cars aren't really my thing. And, unfortunately, the display area was closed when we were there, so I could only see them from a distance.

Lake Ouachita
 After that, we drove on into Arkansas. We had a nice lunch at the 270 Cafe in Mount Ida -- I had pulled pork tacos for $6 -- and then up a gravel road to the Lake Ouachita Vista on Hickory Nut Mountain. Up to that point, it was a really nice day: good roads, not much traffic. The view of Lake Ouachita was a surprise: I'd expected a big open expanse of water (it's a pretty big lake) but instead it's a warren of small islands. This is a place to have a boat! 

 I'd used Google Maps to navigate successfully by putting in small towns along our route and telling it to avoid highways. Then I put in the address of our hotel in Little Rock and my good day came to an end. The route it showed looked good so I started off down the one road in the area coming off of Hickory Nut Mountain. Then I found myself in Hot Springs. We weren't supposed to be going through Hot Springs. I pulled over to check the routing and found it took us onto I-30 and into Little Rock. I set it again to avoid highways, had it re-calculate the route, and started off again. It took us on city streets through downtown Hot Springs, then on to the east ... to Interstate 30, where it put us on the frontage road. In what programmer's imagination is a frontage road an adequate departure from a highway? I stopped again to redo the routing, but then I decided, The Hell With It, and just took the freeway to our hotel. Consequently I was not in a mood to expand on our day when we checked into our hotel.

 After writing the paragraphs to this point, and watching a few episodes of Celebrity Family Feud (with celebrities I've never heard of, and their next of kin) we dragged our asses down to the River Market area, a short swath of overpriced tourist-oriented restaurants and clubs along the riverfront. Nothing appealed, but on the way we had passed a fun-looking place called Taco Camp (or possibly Camp Taco) on a bedraggled street along a detour route. We went back there and had an excellent (and inexpensive) dinner. The only thing we could have done better was that we decided to sit indoors, only to find as we  were leaving that outside, in the (relatively cool) open air of the patio, they had a solo musician performing music that we liked. 

Sunset over Little Rock, from the Junction Bridge
 After dinner, I forced Roland to go with me to the Junction Bridge, an old structure that is now limited to pedestrian use. There were nice views of the Arkansas River and the downtown skyline, such as it is. Then we went to a club he had found listed on line with good-sounding reviews, not too far away. It turned out to be a gay club (or maybe a mixed-crowd club; who can tell?) where they were playing bingo to raise money for some charity function. We took a table in the back and sat through a game of blackout (the final game of the night) while we each had a drink. Then it was back to the hotel where Roland turned on a Tyler Perry show on BET called Sistas, which seems to me as bad as any low-budget production can be. It would appear that the writers' strike has not affected this program. I'm guessing it was written by AI that has sampled too many angst-wracked teenagers' tweets.

 

 I have placed the pictures in an online album, but Google Photos will not let me edit them. Why? I don't know. I never know why a Google program never works the same way twice in a row. I'll try again later.


Click on "Newer Post" below for the next installment of this gripping story.